There are no special services with Packlink's shipping solutions dedicated to shipping fragile objects such as plexiglass, ceramics, porcelain, resin, plaster, concrete, terracotta, etc. (including articles partially containing these materials). Nevertheless, you can send these items if you pack them carefully.
Handling instructions (handle with care, this side up, fragile, do not bend/fold, do not stack, etc.) do not guarantee any special treatment. The item is handled by automatic machinery and must withstand a free fall of at least 1.50 meters.
Items must be transported in packaging approved and accepted by the selected carrier, and according to our Packaging Guide. For fragile items it's required the use of parcels with particularly strong packaging, that allows them to be immobilised inside the box.
Always use corrugated cardboard boxes, to protect the items from shocks and maintain stability, even if they are stacked one on top of the other.
Use a matryoshka style packaging (box-in-box) to provide additional stability to your items.
Newspaper or bubble wrap is NOT considered adequate protection.
To pack fragile goods you will need the following materials:
- Moldable foam
- Injectable foam
- Compression-resistant polyethylene foam
- Polystyrene filler chips (foam chips)
- Inflatable packaging (Airbags)
- Packing tape (resilient & good quality)
It is very important that you follow these instructions so that the items are not damaged:
- Pack items individually. Wrap each piece with at least 5 cm of polyethylene sheeting that adapts to the shape of the objects. Make sure the item has enough protection.
- Do not leave corners or protrusions/bulges of the items exposed.
- Place the items inside a box separated from each other, with a minimum of 5 cm from the borders and corners of the box to avoid possible damage from shocks or vibrations during transport.
- Make sure there are no gaps and that the contents cannot move after sealing the box. Use sufficient filler material and shock absorbers (formable foam, polyethylene foam, foam chips/shavings, inflatable packaging, etc.)
- Close and seal the cardboard box with good quality and resilient packing tape.
The only exception is for prohibited/restricted items included in this category:
- Plain glass: mirrors, glass panels or panels for aquariums, windows, windshields.
- Slabs of concrete, granite, marble, etc.
Please note that these items will not be accepted for any type of claim in case of damage.
In the event of damage, the Claims Department will only consider claims where the items have been transported with sufficient protective material. Any item that is transported without respecting our Packaging Guide will be excluded and ineligible for any compensation otherwise awarded.